Upstate, New York • 20,000 GSF

The original 1872 estate had been operated as the centerpiece of a small lakeside resort since the 1950′s until it burned in 2009. Smith Buckley Architects collaborated with PRB & Associates on a master redevelopment plan for the site that included rebuilding the original estate building with a new wing and extended stone wall base as the backdrop for the beach. The site development included new duplex and quad cabin buildings in a similar shingle-style

The new wing addition sits slightly lower than the rebuilt original. The massing and vocabulary of the addition is an extension of the original.

As the new wing runs parallel to the water, a grand “dogtrot” type opening is placed on axis with main entry to the courtyard on the uphill side. One of the stairs exits onto this large breezeway common area that opens on to the terrace-topped stone wall that has always featured prominently on the site and was the only piece of the building to survive the fire.